Thursday, March 3, 2016

The boys received these lego sets and they played together all
day on Saturday before we left.

We have had a very busy several days. Eli and I traveled to Augusta Georgia on Sunday to start with appointments on Monday that were screening and baselining appointments. On Tuesday, I received word that my mother was not doing well, and that Hospice had called the family to come in. So, Vic came to Augusta Tuesday night to switch with me, but while he was on the road, she passed away before I could get there, which was expected. So, I came home Wednesday to help my sister with preparations.

She battled dementia for six years, but enjoyed a high quality of life during that time, even during the two years that she lived in a facility, she was still active. A suspected mini-stroke Christmas Eve began the downward spiral leading up to today. She grew up in the 40's into the 50's, on a traditional, Alabama farm. She was the protective eldest of four, worked the farm, the house, and went to school - all the things girls of that era were expected to do. Then applied it to her own home as she worked beside my dad to build a successful business, run a home, and raise a family. She was a determined Christian, setting an example for my dad, who obeyed the gospel when I was about 4 or 5. After his death, she determined herself to have a fruitful and quality life of her own through her grief, and she did. She loved the friends and family that she had and gained throughout all the chapters of her life. Her grandkids were undoubtedly her greatest joys. She put us first, so many times, and at a cost to herself, either physically (coming to our rescue when the kids were sick, knowing she would catch it and go home to be sick alone), or financially (giving us money, or allowing us to live with her three different times). She did not like to talk about the hardships of her youth, though she had some. She did not view any of it as relevant, or "need to know". She preferred sharing fun memories of that time, or of work with daddy, or something about us. She loved to laugh, and was what one would call "a good ole gal." She is now enjoying her reward and inheritance, and is finally reunited with my dad, whom she missed no less on the day she died than on the day he did. Arrangements will be simple, at her request, and we will share an "in lieu of" soon.

Eli is doing about the same, which is still good. He may be catching a cold, and his hemoglobin numbers are struggling. Everything else is in his bloodworm is good for the trial, but the red blood cell count must come up to begin tomorrow. Otherwise, the start will be pushed back. We are settling in to the Ronald McDonald House, which is a very short walk to the hospital on the campus of Augusta University, formerly Georgia Regents University. The university acquired a local liberal arts college, and is consolidating under the name Augusta University.

My mom will be laid to rest tomorrow, and I will spend the weekend with the girls before heading back to Augusta with Caleb. He and Vic will spend the week with us there, and then come home for a week, then we have spring break, at which time they will all come to visit. Then we are half-way done, assuming we start on time, which that is looking a little dicey, but praying to start. He has lost almost all of his hair, and is very self-conscious about it, much more so than the first time around. He even wears a little knit toboggan inside the room because he doesn’t like to see himself in the mirror. Otherwise, he is in good spirits, and is playful and active.

Thank you for your continued prayers, for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.